After the excesses of the holiday season it's pretty clear that some things have to change - and almost anything, from losing weight, getting fit, changing jobs, saving more, giving more generously or learning a new language could appear on the list.
Essential Steps for Setting Goals You Intend to Achieve
- Define what you like to have happen. Simply that. Only make sure it's something so compelling that it immediately stirs you up inside and releases energy and enthusiasm to your mind and body. There is simply no point setting a goal that doesn't affect you this way.
- Know who YOU are. This is an absolutely essential step. You need to develop your own sense of IDENTITY so that you see yourself as the sort of person who naturally achieves the kind of goal you've set for yourself. See yourself as a King, a Queen, a Lover, a Sage, a Warrior... and you'll find you set different goals. (The free gift mentioned above will give you a specific aid to help you with this.)
- Get clear. Write down a clear, specific description of you goal Make it so simple a 6 year old could remember it and tell it to a friend.
- Plan. Define the steps you need to take to get there. If ANY step looks like too much to take on, break it into smaller, more manageable steps.
- Take action. No point having a plan if you don't start to *do* what needs doing. Prioritise the next step on the plan and discipline yourself to take continual action.
- Notice what’s working. Get clear on how things are progressing. Noticing requires your *attention*. So take time to assess what's really going on. Are you getting closer to your ultimate outcome - or not.
- Flex and persist. Many times the approach you've taken will not achieve the outcome you've desired. So, should you give up? Of course not. Get back to the original vision you had and get stirred up again on the inside... remind yourself of who you are and plan another approach to resolving the challenge before you. Learn to let go of the past and never, never give up.